In 1958, a Harvard professor of Fine Arts, G.M.A. Hanfmann, and the Dean of Cornell’s School of Architecture, Henry Detweiler, joined forces to begin a collaborative archaeological dig in Sardis, Turkey. The excavations, which continue today, were sponsored by the Turkish Government, the American Schools of Oriental Research, Harvard’s Fogg Art Museum, and the Architecture School at Cornell. Over the years Cornell students have regularly participated in the dig. One of the current Associate Directors of the project is Andrew Ramage (Professor Emeritus, History of Art and Visual Studies).
An Early Byzantine Portrait from the 6th Century C.E. Found at the Door of the Annex to the Old Synagogue in Sardis. Uncovered by Cornell-Harvard Archeologists.
Source: Cornell Alumni News, January 1967