In 1937, fifteen professors in the College of Arts and Sciences established the “Friends of Medieval Studies” committee, composed of faculty in the departments of German, Classics, Architecture, English, Romance Languages, Music, History, and Philosophy. The goal of the committee was “to maintain Cornell’s acknowledged leadership in a field of increasing significance.” According to the Cornell Alumni News, 39:34 (1937), “[The Friends of Medieval Studies] will concern itself with extending [the splendid library] collection and with fostering research. Those who are trying to see through the tangled confused mess of modern society will appreciate the importance of this movement to study the society out of which modern society has grown.”