In 1965 the History Department hired James J. John as Professor of Palaeography and Medieval History. After receiving his doctorate in Medieval Studies at Notre Dame in 1959, John collaborated with E.A. Lowe for fourteen years to produce six volumes in the series Codices Latini Antiquiores, a study of early English handwriting. At Cornell, John taught a popular course on the Middle Ages and published numerous articles on Latin palaeography, dozens of book reviews, and many encyclopaedia entries. He received grants and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council of Learned Societies, and the American Philosophical Society.